BCI - New Applicants
Printable Instructions: New Utah CFP Application (PDF)
Where to Apply:
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84129
Applications will be accepted, in person, from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm at the above location. You may download an application here. (Requires Adobe Reader. To download the FREE Adobe Reader, click here.)
What Will it Cost to Apply?
A non-refundable fee of $39.00 for Utah residents or $49.00 for non-residents must be included with your application. This fee consists of $24.25 for Utah residents or $34.25 for non-residents for application and permit processing and $14.75 charged by the FBI to process your fingerprint cards. Please make checks and money orders payable to the "Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification."
Who is Eligible?
*Minimum requirements for application for a concealed firearms permit in Utah are:
- Applicant must be at least 21 years of age
- Proof of good character...whereas the applicant;
- has not been convicted of a felony;
- has not been convicted of any crime of violence;
- has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol;
- has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
- has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude;
- has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence;
- has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed
*A criminal background check is conducted for all applicants.
What Must Accompany the Application?
- A Photocopy of your Driver License
- Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality. *Photos may be taken at the Bureau of Criminal Identification.
- Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
- Fingerprint Card. One fingerprint card. Must be filled out completely. Writing and prints must be legible. Fingerprint should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application.
*Fingerprint services are available from BCI or may be offered through your local law enforcement agency. There are private businesses that also offer this service. Check in your local phone directory. Photos and fingerprints may be obtained at the Bureau of Criminal Identification (3888 W 5400 S, Taylorsville, UT.) The cost is $15.00 for 1 photo and $15.00 for up to 3 fingerprint cards.
- Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application. View a list of (in-state) (out-of-state) certified instructors.
Updated August 31, 2011[Last Update - Saturday, 21-Mar-2015 07:10:02 MDT]