BCI - Laws Regarding Minors and Firearms in Utah
It is unlawful for persons under the age of 16 to hunt unless "accompanied," - meaning at a distance within which visual and verbal communication is maintained for the purposes of advising and assisting.
Persons under the age of 14, while hunting with any weapon, must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian, or a responsible person age 21 or older who is approved by parent or guardian.
Persons age 14 and under the age of 16, while hunting big game with any weapon, must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian, or a responsible person age 21 or older who is approved by parent or guardian.
Persons age 14 and under the age of 16, while hunting wildlife other than big game, must be accompanied by a person age 21 or older.
Persons under the age of 12 are not permitted to hunt for protected wildlife except as provided by rule of the wildlife board.
It is unlawful for a minor under 18 years of age to possess a dangerous weapon unless he is accompanied by a parent or guardian or has their permission to have the weapon. A minor under 14 years of age must be accompanied by a parent.
It is unlawful for a minor under 18 to possess a handgun unless the minor:
- is a patron of a lawfully operated target concession at an amusement center and the firearms used are chained or affixed to the counters;
- is in attendance at a hunter's safety course;
- is engaged in practice at a range or other area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited by law;
- is engaged in organized competition;
- is on real property with the permission of the owner, licensee, or lessee of the property and has permission of a parent or guardian or the owner to possess a firearm;
- is hunting lawfully;
- is traveling to or from any activity listed above.
Laws governing the use of concealed firearms differ from state to state. It is important to understand the laws to ensure that your actions are in compliance with Utah law.
Sources: 53-5-704 Division duties - Utah Code §§ 23-20-11 et seq., 24-2-17, 76-10-301, 76-10-501 et seq.[Last Update - Friday, 08-Mar-2013 16:27:15 MST]