Utah Department of Public Safety

BCI - Can I contact the Clearinghouse directly regarding a missing person or child?

Parents should contact their local law enforcement agency prior to contacting the Clearinghouse. Police or other searching agencies should contact the Clearinghouse directly.

How long must I wait to report a missing person?

THERE IS NO WAITING PERIOD TO REPORT A MISSING PERSON. It is mandatory with many federal laws that the report be taken immediatley and entered into NCIC within 2 hours for missing persons under the age of 21. (Protect Act, Suzanne's Law, and the Crime Control Act of 1990)

What do I do if local law enforcement won’t take a missing report (or enter the missing person into NCIC National Crime Information Center)?

Contact the officer that took the initial report to inquire why the report has not been entered in NCIC. Listen to what the officer advises you, as there may be other issues involved. This agency may not be the agency of jurisdiction where the missing person was at the time they become missing. You may not be the custodial parent. You may not have a valid custody document and/or parenting plan. If you have custody documents, you need to present them to the officer. If you called the agency, you may have spoken to a call taker or communication officer who took a missing report and an investigator may or may not been assigned to your case. Write down the responses you are given for further follow-up.

For further information or questions you can contact the clearinghouse at (801) 965-4686

[Last Update - Monday, 08-Dec-2014 13:10:02 MST]