Utah Department of Public Safety

Driver License Division - CDL FAQ

Do I need my DOT Physical card before I take the CDL written tests?

Yes; to apply for a Commercial Driver License, you must be at least 18 years old, present your current driver license, a current DOT medical card or Medical Long Form and present original or copies certified by the issuing agency showing proof of birth, full social security number and two proofs of residence, if it is different than the address on your current Utah record, and evidence of name change, if applicable. You must have one (1) year of driving experience. If you are under 21 years old, you will be restricted to intrastate operation and will not be able to apply for Hazardous Materials, Passenger, or School Bus Endorsements.  Click here to see what documents work as proof.

back to top

I am a commercial (CDL) driver. Can I renew by Internet?

No; Federal guidelines require that a CDL driver complete an application with updated information and required certification for each renewal. If a CDL driver moves or changes names at a time other than renewal, the driver is required to apply for a duplicate license within 30 days of the change.

back to top

How do I know if I need a CDL?

For more information, click here.

back to top

I have a School Bus endorsement, do I have to take a test to renew it?

Yes; all applicants for a School Bus endorsement are required to take the School Bus test. View the current version of the Utah Commercial Vehicle Driver Handbook (dated 2010) for more information.

back to top

[Last Update - Thursday, 08-Aug-2013 12:19:54 MDT]