Utah Department of Public Safety

Driver License Division - Driver Education


Effective July 1, 2012 Driver Education is not required for all drivers to obtain a Utah driver license. Anyone who is 18 years of age and younger will be required to complete an approved driver education course. Anyone 19 years of age or older after July 1, 2012 are not required to complete a driver education course.

If you are coming from another US State with a driver education completion certificate that completion certificate may be accepted if the course hours are at least 18 hours classroom, 6 hours driving and 6 hours observation.

Remember that this certificate of completion is not a license to drive.

Driver Education Age Requirements

Driver Education in Utah may be completed at:

Commercial Schools Map

If you complete an online driver education course you will also be required to have 6 hours driving and 6 hours of observation, which can be completed at any approved Commercial Driver Education School or High School.

Please be aware that there are many online driver education courses offered on the internet. These courses may offer driver education or practice testing, but they have not been approved by the Driver License Division and cannot be accepted as proof of driver education completion.

The Driver License Division under the authority of U.C.A. 53-3-501 and Utah Administrative Rule R708-2 regulates commercial driving schools.


Road Testing (Driving Skills Test):

If you have never been issued a driver license (anywhere) you will be required to complete a road test.  If you are from another state or country, you may be required to complete a road test before obtaining a Utah driver license. The State of Utah offers two options for applicants who must complete a road test in order to obtain a Utah Driver License.

  1. An applicant may choose to take a road test with the Driver License Division by completing the knowledge (written) test and application process set forth by the division, and scheduling an appointment at one of our driver license offices.  Applicant must supply the vehicle for the road test


  2. An applicant may take a road test with a Certified Commercial School (view Third Party Road Testers for Regular Operators License link above)

To test with a Third-Party Tester you must have the following:

  • A license from another country, or a learners permit issued by the Driver License Division; and
  • Provide the tester with proof of identification

**Please note there may be an additional fee charged for road testing with a Third-Party Tester

An applicant may not use the services of a Third-Party Tester when:

  1. An applicant has a Utah driver license and has been requested to take a road test by a physician, other medical professional or by a law enforcement officer; or
  2. An applicant has been requested by the Driver License Division to complete additional hours of driver training
[Last Update - Wednesday, 26-Feb-2014 15:05:26 MST]