Emergency Management - Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
Train-the-Trainer Course (G428)
- The purpose of this Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Train-the-Trainer (T-T-T) course is to produce competent instructors for the CERT Basic Training course.
- A competent CERT instructor delivers the CERT Basic Training course accurately, conveying the messages and intent of the CERT Program (e.g., safety, teamwork,
- place in overall community emergency operations plan).
- A competent instructor assures that participants achieve the objectives of the CERT Basic Training course.
- A competent CERT instructor delivers training effectively and at an appropriate level, thus enabling participants to learn and correctly apply skill sets.
- A competent instructor creates a comfortable yet managed learning environment
OVERALL COURSE OBJECTIVES
At the conclusion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the CERT Basic Training course.
- Demonstrate the ability to present an assigned portion of the course (teach-back).
- Communicate the core values of the program.
- Demonstrate classroom management techniques.
- Demonstrate effective teaching techniques.
- Model appropriate behavior as an instructor.
In addition to the overall course objectives listed above, each unit has specific objectives.
The target audience for this course includes the following:
- People who will serve as the course manager for the CERT Basic Training course. This course manager would have the authority to designate instructors to teach selected units.
- People who will be CERT Basic Training course instructors in any capacity.
Note: Individuals who conduct only one or two of the units may do so without taking the CERT T-T-T course. However, the CERT T-T-T course would give them a necessary overview of the CERT Basic Training course as well as improve their instructional skills.
The prerequisites for attending the CERT T-T-T course include:
- Must have a referral from a CERT sponsoring agency. The CERT sponsoring agency could be a local, regional, or State government agency.
- If the CERT T-T-T course is sponsored by a State CERT coordinating agency, must have approval from that agency as well.
- Must have taken the CERT Basic Training course.