Evidence Intake Hours
Monday and Friday - By appointment only - please call in advance
Tuesday - Thursday - 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Who Are We?
The Utah Bureau of Forensic Services Laboratory System (aka, the State Crime Lab) was created by the Legislature to provide timely and comprehensive criminalistic services to criminal justice entities within the State of Utah. The system is composed of three laboratories that are located in Salt Lake City (Central laboratory), Ogden (Northern laboratory) and Cedar City (Southern laboratory).
4501 S Constitution Blvd
Salt Lake City, UT 84129
819 West 2nd Street
Ogden, Utah 84404
SUU Tech Building Room 9
351 West Center
Cedar City, Utah 84720
By statute (53-10-104), the laboratory shall: “(5) analyze evidence from crime scenes and crime-related incidents for criminal prosecution; (6) provide criminalistics laboratory services to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies, prosecuting attorneys’ and agencies, and public defenders…”
The Bureau of Forensic Services is located within the Utah Department of Public Safety and has been accredited since 1996 by ASCLD/LAB and transitioned to the ASCLD/LAB International program in 2007. The Bureau is the only full-service, forensic science provider in the State and provides the following services:
- Scientific Consulting: Our scientists are available for laboratory consultation during normal business hours or after hours through the crime scene call out phone (801-638-7600). We encourage contact and believe that constructive discussions between laboratory scientists, crime scene personnel, investigators and prosecutors greatly assist in the criminal justice fact finding mission. For complex cases, we ask that a meeting between all applicable entities be held prior to the submission of evidence. This meeting will greatly assist in expediting the most probative samples for laboratory testing
- Law Enforcement Training: The laboratory is the sole provider of comprehensive forensic science training for Utah law enforcement. We provide training for minimal or no charge. The following is a list of trainings offered:
- Field Investigation Drug Officer (FIDO)
- Marijuana Leaf Identification
- Basic Crime Scene Specialist
- Advanced Crime Scene Specialist
- Shooting Scene Reconstruction
- Evidence Preservation and Packaging
- DNA Academy
- Latent Print Examiner Academy
- Crime Scene Response: The laboratory has the distiction of maintaining the only accredited crime scene team in the state and is capable of deploying anywhere. We do not have a separate crime scene unit but rather our employees serve a dual role as both forensic scientist and crime scene responder. This service is available to law enforcement agencies during all hours by calling 801-638-7600. We encourage calls, even if it is a submission question.
- Laboratory Testing Services: The laboratory's testing services includes the following forensic science disciplines:
- Biology screening, DNA, Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) input/management
- Controlled substances (including suspected clandestine labs)
- Fire Debris
- Paint, Fibers, and general trace and unknown substances
- Latent Prints
- Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) input/management
- Bloodstain Pattern Analysis
- Serial Number Restoration
- Distance Determination
- Shooting Scene Reconstruction
- Courtroom Testimony: The criminal justice must have accurate facts in which to make its determinations. Hence, the ultimate success of the scientific consultation, law enforcement training, and laboratory testing resides in how well the final report and examiner testimony is received in the courtroom. Consequently, all of the Bureau's scientific staff are court-qualified forensic experts in their respective disciplines. We encourage all legal entities with questions to contact the laboratory for furthe rinformation.
- Basic Crime Scene Academy: Spring 2015
- Advanced Crime Scene Academy: Spring 2015
- Shooting Scene Reconstruction: August 25-27, 2014. Contact Justin Bechaver at email@example.com for more information.