Highway Patrol - Commercial Vehicle Enforcement (Motor Carrier Safety Section
Click on the following for more information.
The mission of the Motor Carrier Safety section is committed to protect and serve the public and the trucking industry through education and enforcement of state and federal rules and regulations; resulting in safer highways and improved relations for all concerned.
There are 30 Troopers, located throughout the state that are specifically assigned to commercial vehicle enforcement.
Their primary responsibilities are: commercial motor vehicle education, commercial vehicle inspections and enforcement of state and federal rules and regulations. Troopers receive specific training for commercial motor vehicle rules and regulations (Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (C.V.S.A) certifications in the following areas:
- Basic Level 1 Inspections
- Advanced Level 1 Inspections
- Motor Coach Inspections
- General Hazmat Inspections
- Cargo Tank Inspections
- Electric On/Board Recording Devices
- Level VI Inspections (Radioactive Materials)
- Weight and size rules and regulations
- Escorting large over size loads traveling within our state.
- Drug interdiction as it relates to commercial motor vehicles.
- Cross training in the Vehicle Safety Inspection program to assist then whenever possible.
The Commercial Vehicle Troopers work closely with the trucking industry to prevent accidents and injuries. Training received (CVSA Certifications) in this section can often be used later in the private sector after retirement from the Utah Highway Patrol. [Last Update - Friday, 08-Mar-2013 16:25:28 MST]