Highway Patrol - Utah Highway Patrol Training Bureau
Click on the following for more information.
The mission of the UHP Training Bureau is relevant and innovative training in a professional environment to the Utah Highway Patrol and the law enforcement community as a whole.
The Utah Highway Patrol Training Bureau is comprised of the following positions:
- UHP Training Bureau Chief – Holds the rank of Lieutenant, supervises personnel and oversees all aspects of the UHP Training Bureau.
- Firearms Instructor (Sergeant): This individual is in charge of the UHP firearms program and is also the armorer for UHP. Duties include: tracking all weapons for UHP, developing firearms training programs, and instructing numerous UHP qualification shoots throughout the state.
- Accident Investigation Sergeant: This Sergeant is in charge of the accident investigation training program for the UHP. Duties include: developing and teaching accident investigation courses to POST, UHP and other law enforcement agencies. Some of these courses include; basic accident investigation, intermediate accident investigation, advanced accident investigation and photogrammatry. This Sergeant is subject to call-outs to assist with major accident investigation.
- Survival Tactics Sergeant: This Sergeant is in charge of the Survival Tactics program for UHP. Duties include: training all Troopers in the UHP survival tactics techniques, Taser instructor, OC instructor, and the less lethal shotgun instructor.
- New Hire Sergeant: This Sergeant is in charge of the new hire program. Duties include: working with all new hires during their hiring process and during their time in the academy, issuing all equipment to the new hires and the Field Training Officer (FTO) Program.
- EVO Sergeant: This Sergeant is in charge of the Emergency Vehicle Operations (EVO) program for UHP. Duties include: developing realistic EVO training for UHP, training cadets in POST, and conducting EVO instructor classes.
- RC Helicopter Sergeant: This Sergeant is in charge of the RC Helicopter program and works closely with the Accident Investigation Sergeant. This program utilizes a RC Helicopter, which is outfitted with a digital camera in order to assist with accident investigation. This Sergeant is subject to call-outs at all times in order to assist with major accident investigation.